Friday, May 22, 2009

Brangelina: Causing Severe Identity Issues, One Child at a Time

I'll admit that in my day I have had crushes on both Brad and Angelina. However, once they morphed into Hollywood's scandal-ridden super-couple I noticed Brad looking a bit wrinkly and Angie (can I call her Angie?) looks a bit washed up. Jennifer Aniston on the other hand seems to improve her looks with every failed relationship! Now there's a girl I can look up to... but I digress. Anyways, I have a couple problems with the Brangelina.

1) What the hell is a UNHCR Goodwill Ambassador anyways?

Yup. You know, Angie's superhero title. It sounds pretty noble, goodwill is a good moniker to put in any title. But I did some research. Turns out it has little to do with goodwill and a lot more to do with celebrity status. Under these circumstances I will assume that Angelina has very little goodwill that is separate from good PR. Which brings me to my next point.

2) Maybe Angie (and Brad) should stop worrying about PR and start being parents.

How many kids do they have these days? 6? Something like that. Well, I hate to break it to Brangelina, but unless your 6 kids are working for you it's about time you took a reality check and realize that you've just inherited a new full-time career. It's called parenting. They should try it sometime. I nominate Brad to quit -- afterall, Angie has an important role with the UN.

3) They should start being parents so they can prepare for the onslaught of identity issues their children will have.

I'm not too worried about Shiloh, the blonde, blue-eyed celespawn. She'll be alright. She'll have her first acting gig at 7, be addicted to cocaine at 12, enter rehab at 14, pose nude for Playboy at 20 and around 25 will come out with a supersmash movie like Never Been Kissed (although we'll hardly believe it). What does concern me is the rest of their "It's a Small World Exhibit". Afterall, there are no better candidates to understand society's racism than Brangelina. They have dealt with a lot of racism themselves I'm sure. It's hard being dubbed "the two most beautiful people in the world" and it's even harder to deal with the classism they must face, being rich and all.

The point is, combating racism is not about breeding a little UN in your home. The UN has done a lot more to fuck people over than to bring them out of the trenches. It involves a powerful organization with the most sway going to - you guessed it - the most powerful countries, who do their best to keep their own interests taken care of while internationally trying to look like they too, are all goodwill. Angie herself, in many ways is the perfect figurehead to stand for an organization that does on an international level what she does privately -- takes a lot of innocent people down with her in an attempt to spread some good PR.

No comments:

Post a Comment